Thesis and defences
Defence and submission dates 2020/21
Second year Master's students must submit the name of their supervisors and the title of the thesis by November 1 here.
Dates of defence and submission of Master's thesis:
- 12th August 2021, submission date July 29, 2021 (only MSc Cyber security curriculum)
- 18th - 19th August and 23rd August 2021, submission date August 4, 2021 (MSc Computer Science and MSc Software Engineering curriculum)
Thesis related guidelines and regulations
- Requirements for graduation theses and their grading in the Institute of Computer Science of the University of Tartu
- The procedure for processing cases of academic fraud and improper behaviour in studies in the Faculty of Science and Technology
- Requirements for graduation thesis and procedure for defence in the Faculty of Science and Technology
Submitting the thesis
- It is compulsory to add a CERCS code (Common European Research Classification Scheme) to the information sheet of the thesis.
- The thesis must be submitted to the theses database via the appropriate form. The name of the file should be formulated as surname_fieldofstudy_year.pdf.
- The thesis must also contain a disclosure licence at the end to allow the thesis to be made public and reproduced. The Institute of Computer Science applies an open-access policy to Master's theses, except in special cases where a thesis is declared confidential due to commercial reasons. Here can be found information about requesting closed defence and/or establishing restrictions on thesis publication.
- Licence authorising the electronic publication of the thesis
- Licence authorising the electronic publication of the thesis starting from a specific date
- Licence restricting the publication of the thesis
Graduation theses shall be defended on dates determined by defence committees. The dates and places for defence with the relevant time tables shall be published on the website of the Institute of Computer Science. A graduation thesis is defended in the form of an academic debate.
The time limit for the presentation is 15 minutes for a master’s thesis
The main stages of the defence procedure are the following:
● the author’s presentation
● questions related to the presentation
● opinion of the opponent
● general discussion
● opinion of the supervisor
● the author’s final remarks