Institute of Computer Science awards 2016:
- 14.12.2016 Institute of Computer Science awards 2016:
For her longtime contributions to developing IT education: Tiina Lasn
Researcher of the year: Dietmar Pfahl
Lector of the year: Fredrik Payman Milani
Support staff of the year: Mari Krusten
- 02.12.2016 the university recognized Assoc. Prof. in Software Systems Helle Hein as the programme director of the year. Included in the ten best teaching staff in the Faculty of Science and Technology were: Assistant in Informatics Kristjan Krips, Lecturer of Information Systems Fredrik Payman Milani, Lecturer in Informatics Eno Tõnisson.
- 23.11.2016 Senior Research Fellow in Computational Neuroscience Jaan Aru received an award for popularizing science for a series of articles in a popular-scientific magazine.
- 17.11.2016 PhD student Adriano Augusto and his supervisor Marlon Dumas, win the best paper award at the 35th International Conference on Conceptual Modeling for their paper: "Automated Discovery of Structured Process Models: Discover Structured versus Discover and Structure"
- 15.06.2016 Senior Researcher Fabrizio Maggi and Marlon Dumas win the Distinguished Paper Award at the 28th International Conference on Advanced Information Systems Engineering for their paper "Business Process Monitoring Framework with Hyperparameter Optimization.
- 14.11.2016 Jaak Vilo was awarded a small medal and a letter of appreciation from the rector of the University of Tartu.
- 22.10.2016 Student team VertexCover won 3rd place at the 10th international programming contest IEEE Xtreme, which is the best result ever achieved in the whole of Baltics. The team consisted of informatics bachelor student Oliver-Matis Lill and two mathematics bachelor students Andres Unt and Oliver Nisumaa. The team is also invited to participate in the regional North-Eastern European ACM programming competition taking place on 3.-4. December.
- Eno Tõnisson was elected as Teacher of the Year in the "Eestimaa õpib ja tänab" gala by the Ministry of Education and Research on Oct 8th, 2016.
- ICS students Ülari Laurson and Irene Teinemaa won the best paper award at BPM Conference.
- 12.09.2016 Estonian Ministry of Education and Research revealed the University of Tartu's informatics lecturer Eno Tõnisson as one of the nominees for the title Teacher of the Year.
- Computer science bachelor students won first place in this year's TransferWise hackathon with their co-working platform NomadCard. The team consisted of Janek Timmas, Rasmus Saks, Al William Tammsaar and Reino Zuppur.
- 14.04.2016 popular MOOC "Programmeerimisest maalähedaselt" received the "E-course of the year 2016" award. Author: Eno Tõnisson and co-authors: Marina Lepp, Tauno Palts, Reelika Suviste, Vello Vaherpuu, Kaspar Papli, Hanna-Liisa Reponen, Kaspar Hollo, Mari-Liis Jaansalu, Merilin Säde.
- In the list of the world's best universities by subject „QS World University Rankings by Subject 2016“ that was published by the international consultation firm Quacquarelli Symonds (QS) on 22 March 2016, the University of Tartu is represented by two new subjects: Linguistics (101-150) and Computer Science and Information Systems (401-450)
- Informatics lecturer Eno Tõnisson received UT's Badge of Distinction on February 23
- Our Ph.D. student Tambet Matiisen with Tanel Pärnamaa came in 4th in the Kaggle Allen AI Science Challenge on February 16