Six research groups are active within the Institute of Computer Science:
- Bioinformatics & Data Mining led by Prof. Jaak Vilo
- Cryptography & Security, led by Prof. Dominique Unruh
- Distributed Systems, led by Prof. Eero Vainikko
- Language Technology, led by Prof. Mare Koit
- Programming Language Semantics, led by Prof. Varmo Vene
- Software Engineering, led by Prof. Marlon Dumas
In addition we have the following active subgroups:
- Mobile & Cloud Computing Laboratory, led by Assoc. Prof. Satish Srirama
The Institute of Computer Science is also an active partner in the Estonian Centre of Excellence in Computer Science and in the Software Technology and Applications Competence Centre (STACC).
Did you know?
- University of Tartu's Software Engineering Research Group leader, Prof. Marlon Dumas, is ranked in the top 20 among more than 3000 researchers in the field of software engineering in terms of citations according to Google Scholar (learn more)
- More than half of the PhD theses written in Estonia are defended at University of Tartu (learn more).
- More than half of the country's research publications are authored by UT academics, and the university manages work-intensive research projects and topics in every important research area.