- April 5th, at Liivi 2-404 Jevgeni Kabanov defended his PhD thesis "Towards a more productive Java EE ecosystem".
- February 11th, beginning of spring semester.
- 1-3 February 2013 the 23rd edition of the Theory Days took place in Otepää at Hotel Karupesa. For more information visit the webpage.
- January 29-30th The Winter Seminar of the Institute of Computer Science took place at Voore Guesthouse.
- January 8, at Liivi 2-405, at 15.15 Marina Degel from Univercity of Gothenburg provided a seminar about education in Sweden and future perspectives after graduation.
- November 16, at Liivi 2-403, Vitali Retšnoi defended his PhD thesis on "Vector fields and Lie group representations".
- November 30, at Liivi 2-404. Härmel Nestra, a candidate for the position of Senior Lecturer of Programming Languages gave a public lecture (venia legendi) entitled "Semantics of Programming Languages: The Essence and Applications".
- October 19, Georg Singer defended his PhD thesis "Web Search Engines and Complex Information Needs". Supervisors: prof Eero Vainikko (University of Tartu), prof Dirk Lewandowski (Hamburg University of Applied Sciences) and Ulrich Norbisrath (University of Tartu). Opponents: prof Rene Schneider (Geneva University of Applied Sciences) and prof Joachim Griesbaum (Stiftung Universität Hildesheim).
- October 18, Jevgeni Kabanov introduced his upcoming PhD thesis "Towards a more productive Java EE ecosystem" at Liivi 2-317. Everybody is welcome!
- October 12: Institute's day took place at the Institute of Computer Science at 14.00 at Liivi 2.
- October 5-7: a start-up event Garage48 took place at the Institute of Computer Science, Liivi 2.
- October 5: venia legendi „Architectural Design Decisions Motivated by Open Source Legality Concerns“ of the candidate Imed Hammouda for the position of the docent of software engineering took place at 10.15 at Liivi 2-317.
- October 4-5: took place 5th international conference Human Language Technologies - The Baltic Perspective organised by language technology work group at the Institute of Computer Science of Univesrity of Tartu.
October 1: took place venia legendis for the position of the docent of software engineering:
* „The Role of Empirical Studies in Software Engineering“ of the candidate Dietmar Pfahl at 12.15 at Liivi 2-317.
* „Model Driven Development in Software Engineering“ of the candidate Omar Bahy Badreddin’i at 15.15 at Liivi 2-404.
- September 27-30: Joint Estonian-Latvian theory days at Medzābaki, Latvia.
September 13: Seminar "The "Million Message Attack" in 15,000 Messages - Efficient Padding Oracle Attacks on Estonian Electronic ID Card, Security Tokens and Smart Cards"
Presenters: Yusuke Kawamoto and Joe K. Tsay
- September 3-6: BPM 2012 took place in Tallinn under the auspices of the Institute of Computer Science of University of Tartu. BPM 2012 was the tenth conference in a series that provides the most prestigious forum for researchers and practitioners in the field of Business Process Management (BPM).
- September 3: Opening Ceremony for the 2012/13 Academic Year at 10.00 at the University's Assembly Hall.
- August 31: Information session for the new students of Software Engineering at 14.15 at the Faculty of Mathematics and Computer Science at Liivi 2-206.
- August 19-23: 11th Estonian Summer School on Computer and Systems Science (ESSCaSS'2012). ESSCaSS is an annual international event promoting interdisciplinary education of graduate students specializing in (but not limited to) computer science, systems science, software engineering, artificial intelligence, and bioinformatics.
- July 28-August 12: Baltic Summer School (BaSoTI) 2012 was organised together with Rostock University. It was mainly for BA and MA level students. This year's summer school focused more on computer security.
- June 20: The attestation review of PhD Students will take place at Liivi 2-225.
- June 18: Graduation Ceremony of Realia et naturalia at the University of Tartu took place at the ceremony hall of the Main Building of UT. The ceremony will be partly in Estonian, partly in English and will be available on UTTV.
- June 14: Georg Singer introduced his doctoral thesis "Measuring the user behavior for complex Web Search".
- June 14-15: GeekOut conference for Java developers. Speakers included Ed Burns and Jaroslav Tulach (Oracle), Matthew McCullough (GitHub), Kirk Pepperdine (Codewerk).
- June 13: at Liivi 2-111 the Institute of Computer Science celebrated with a mini-conference the 100th anniversary of Alan Turing - one of the greatest names in computer science history. More information about the schedule and presentations: Alan Turing centennial mini-conference
June 12: two public lectures were held at Liivi 2-317 by professor/researcher of Nanyang Technological University (Singapore):
- Edith Elking: "Optimal Manipulation of Voting Rules".
- Dmitri Pasechnik: "Normal polynomials and circulant matrices over a finite field, and the sandpile group of a digraph".
June 11: two venia legendis of the candidates for the position of the docent of theoretical informatics took place:
- at 14.15 at Liivi 2-404 Srinivasa Rao Satti venia legendi "Succinct Representations of Trees" (as a video conference).
- at 16.15 at Liivi 2-404 Andrei Gagarin's venia legendi "Randomized Algorithms and Upper Bounds for Multiple Domination in Graphs and Networks".
June 11: Uuno Puus defended his PhD thesis "Structural Performance as a Success Factor in Software Development Projects - Estonian Experience"
Supervisors: prof emer Jüri Kiho (University of Tartu), prof Tõnis Mets (University of Tartu)
Opponents: prof Alok Mishra (University of South Pacific, Fiji), prof Marko Torkkeli (Lappeenranta University of Technology, Finland)
- June 7: Master's theses defense date at TUT.
- June 7-8: Latutude 59 conference for the Nordic and Baltic start-up scene.
- June 6: Master's theses defense date at UT.
- June 5: public lecture by Dr Juan Cui (Univ. of Georgia) on the topic "Data mining applications in cancer research" was held at 11.15 at Liivi 2-403. See the video at UTTV.
- June 5: the venia legendi "Finding solutions for general satisfiability problems" of the candidate Dirk Oliver Theis for the position of the docent of theoretical computer science was held at 16.15 at Liivi 2-404. See the video at UTTV.
- May 8: Vitaly Skachek (Uni of Illinois) held a seminar on "New Challenges in Coding Theory". See the recording on UTTV.
- May 7: the venia legendi "Pseudocodeword Redundancy and Efficient Decoding of LDPC Codes" of the candidate Vitaly Skachek for the position of the docent of theoretical computer science was held. See the recording on UTTV.
- April 17-30: Vedran Dunjko (PhD) and Einar Pius (exp PhD) from University of Edinburgh gave an intensive course "Introduction to Quantum Computing" (MTAT.05.115, 3 EAP). The course is supported by the ESF project Doctoral School of Information and Communication Technology.
- April 16: deadline for applications for the international Master`s programme in Software Engineering.
- March 29: Prof. Wil van der Aalst (Eindhoven University of Technology) held a guest lecture "Desire Lines and Cow Paths in Big Data - Aligning Event Logs and Business Process Models" on Thursday 29 March, 15:00-16:00 in room 405 (Liivi 2).
- The European Commission has granted the Common Language Resources and Technology Infrastructure (CLARIN) a significant boost today by according it an EU legal status. It now becomes a European Research Infrastructure Consortium (ERIC), which will provide CLARIN with many of the administrative advantages and tax exemptions enjoyed by international organisations. Its founding members are the Netherlands, Austria, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Germany, Bulgaria, Poland, and the Dutch Language Union.
- March 20: the venia legendi "Selective Location Blinding using Hash Chains" of the candidate Gabriele Lenzini for the position of Senior Lecturer of Computer Security was held at Liivi 2, room 403 at 14.30.
- March 15: Career Day of the Institute of Computer Science took place on the 4th floor of the Liivi 2 building at 14.00-17.30. See pictures.
- March 13: the venia legendi "Mobile enterprise and cloud computing" of the candidate Satish Narayana Srirama for the position of Senior Lecturer of Distributed Systems was held.
March 12: the venia legendi of the candidates for the position of Senior Lecturer of Software Engineering were held at Liivi Str 2 room 405 as follows:
Dr. Ivan Kurtev: at 14.00 (room 405) "Metamodelling in Model-Driven Engineering: Concepts, Standards, and Challenges".
Dr. Andrew Brooks: at 15.15 (room 405) "Browser Wars and the Google Web Toolkit".
- February 26 - March 2: 17th Estonian Winter School in Computer Science, EWSCS '12 took place at Palmse, Estonia. EWSCS is a series of regional-scope international winter schools held annually in Estonia.
- February 1-2, 2012: Winter Seminar of the Institute of Computer Science. The seminar is meant for all employees of the institute and took place at Leigo tourist farm.
- November 25-26: 5th Annual Conference of the Estonian Doctoral School in Information and Communication Technologies took place at Nelijärve, Estonia.
- November 21: MobileMonday has invited a number of interested speakers to Tallinn: one of the world class speakers Andreas Constantinou from Vision Mobile; Estonians having done business in Russia and companies from St Petersburg presenting; and AppCircus in the evening.
- November 11: Dr. Anne Lauber-Rönsberg gave a lecture on "Copyright Issues in the Field of Information Technology". The lecture took place at Kalevi 13 at 14.00-17.30. Dr. Lauber-Rönsberg is an experienced specialist in IT-Law currently researching at the Institute of Intellectual Property, Competition and Media Law at the Technical University of Dresden.
On October 31 Reina Uba defended her PhD thesis "Merging Business Process Models".
Supervisors: prof Marlon Dumas (University of Tartu), dr Marcello La Rosa (Queensland University of Technology)
Opponents: prof dr Mathias Weske (University of Potsdam); prof Marite Kirikova (Riga Technical University)
- On October 26-28 The 16th Nordic Conference in Secure IT Systems took place in Tallinn Science Park Tehnopol. Since 1996, the NordSec conferences have brought together computer security researchers and practitioners from around the world, and particularly from the Nordic countries and Northern Europe. The conference focuses on applied IT security and is intended to encourage interaction between academic and industrial research.
- On Oct 19 the Professor of Information Security, Dominique Unruh held his inaugural lecture "Everlasting Security" in University Assembly Hall.
On October 10 Bingsheng Zhang defended his PhD thesis "Efficient Cryptographic Protocols for Secure and Private Remote Databases".
Supervisors: Senior researcher Helger Lipmaa (University of Tartu), Prof. Peeter Laud (University of Tartu)
Opponents: Senior Lectr. Jens Groth (University College London, UK), Assoc. Prof. Jesper Buus Nielsen (University of Aarhus, Denmark)
- On October 7-9 The 20th Estonian CS Theory Days took place at the "Trofee" Hunters' House.
- The 3rd international conference on e-voting and identity (VoteID 2011) took place in Tallinn, 28-30 September.
- On September 22 a guest lecture by eminent software testing consultant James Bach was held. Co-author of "Lessons Learned in Software Testing" (Wiley, 2001), James Bach is best known as one of the pioneers of the context-driven testing school. For more information about James Bach and his work see here.
On August 26 Meelis Kull defended his PhD thesis ,,Statistical enrichment analysis in algorithms for studying gene regulation".
Supervisors: Prof. Jaak Vilo (University of Tartu)
Opponents: Dr. Joaquin Dopazo (Principe Felipe Research Centre, Spain), Dr. Juho Rousu (University of Helsinki)
On August 25 Dmitri Lepp defended his PhD thesis ,,Solving simplification problems in the domain of exponents, monomials and polynomials in interactive learning environment T algebra".
Supervisors: docent Rein Prank (University of Tartu)
Opponents: prof Nicolas Balacheff (Laboratoire d'Informatique de Grenoble); docent Jaak Henno (Tallinn University of Technology)
- On August 26-28 again a startup building event Garage48 took place at the faculty of Mathematics and Computer Science. People with various skill-sets are welcome to participate.
- On August 21-25 10th Estonian Summer School on Computer and Systems Science, ESSCaSS 2011 took place in Otepää, Estonia.
On June 29 Margus Treumuth defended his PhD thesis ,,A Framework for Asynchronous Dialogue Systems: Concepts, Issues and Design Aspects".
Supervisors: prof. Mare Koit (University of Tartu); prof. Kristiina Jokinen (Helsinki University)
Opponents: prof. Ramón López-Cózar Delgado (Granada University); dr. Hele-Mai Haav (Tallinn University of Technology)
On June 28 Siim Karus defended his PhD thesis ,,Maintainability of XML Transformations".
Supervisors: prof Marlon Dumas (University of Tartu); dots Helle Hein (University of Tartu)
Opponents: prof Mehdi Jazayeri (University of Lugano); Assistant Prof Martin Pinzger (Delft University of Technology)
- On June 16 the Master's graduate ceremony for the Realia et naturalia students took place at the UT Main Building. You can see the video via UTTV (search for "Realia et naturalia lõpuaktus").
- Guestlecture course «Yours, Mine(s), and Ours: Intellectual Property and IT» by Prof. Charles Hall (Memphis, Tennesee, USA) took place from May 23-27.
- On May 24 Eric Werner from the University of Oxford, the Computer Laboratory and Department of Physiology, Anatomy and Genetics held a seminar on Meaning in the biological universe.
On May 20 Margus Niitsoo defended his PhD thesis "Black-box Oracle Separation Techniques with Applications in Time-stamping".
Supervisor: Prof. Ahto Buldas (University of Tartu)
Opponents: Dr. Berry Schoenmakers (Eindhoven University of Technology); prof. Helger Lipmaa (Tallinn University)
- On May 20-21 Bioinformatics Research and Education Workshop took place at the institute.
- Guestlecture course «Mobile Technology Innovation, Management and Marketing» by Dr. Nazmun Nahar took place from May 16 to May 20.
- The 8th International Fujaba Days took place on May 11-13 at the Institute of Computer Science at UT. The event brought together 27 Fujaba developers and users to present and discuss their ideas and projects.
- On May 12 Andrea Corradini held a lecture "Towards Natural User Interfaces".
- On May 10 Jörn Dreyer held a talk and demonstration on «Advanced Software Engineering with UML Lab». He gave a short introduction and demonstration (about 45 minutes) of UML Lab and its unique template-based Round-trip-Engineering NG and held a small hands-on session.
- On May 6 Helger Lipmaa talked about cryptographic protocols for Norwegian internet voting in the crypto/security reading group. If you wish to stay informed about the group's activities, please join the their webpage for the schedule.
- Career Day took place on April 28 for introducing practical training and career opportunities offered by companies in the field.
- Margus Treumuth gave a presentation on the topic of his PhD thesis: A Framework for Asynchronous Dialogue Systems: Concepts, Issues and Design Aspects on March 17 at 15.15 in Liivi 2-317. The author of the dissertation has implemented the ADS framework - a collection of integrated modules that can be used in developing text-based natural language dialogue systems. The ADS framework is currently tailored for Estonian language, yet most of its features and modules are easily transferable to English language.
Mark Fišel defended his PhD thesis Optimizing Statistical Machine Translation via Input Modification on Friday, March 11 at Liivi 2-403.
Supervisors: prof. Mare Koit (Univ. of Tartu); prof. Joakim Nivre (Uppsala University)
Opponents: senior researcher Tanel Alumäe, PhD (Tallinn Univ. of Technology); prof. Jörg Tiedemann (Uppsala University)
- On March 10, Margus Niitsoo gave a presentation on the topic of his PhD thesis: Black-box Oracle Separation Techniques with Applications in Time-stamping at 15.15 in Liivi 2-317.
- The 16th Estonian Winter School in Computer Science, EWSCS 2011 took place on 27 Feb-4 March at Palmse. Lecturers: Boyen, Goré, Hofmann, Jacobs, Sadeghi.
- The 19th Estonian Computer Science Theory Days took place from 4-6 February (Fri-Sun) at Nelijärve. The main goal of the event was to let Estonian computer scientists of theoretical orientation to learn by hearing about the work of others.
- On December 10th 2010 Vesal Vojdani defended his PhD thesis "Static Data Race Analysis of Heap-Manipulating C Programs". Supervisors: Prof. Varmo Vene (Univ. of Tartu); Prof. Helmut Seidl (Technische Universität München) Opponents: Prof. Alan Mycroft (University of Cambridge); Dr. Keiko Nakata (TUT Institute of Cybernetics)
- UT's team reached the semifinals at the ACM international collegiate programming contest 2010. Representing UT were Viktor Karabut, Aleksandr Nikiforov and Oleg Šelajev.
- All four participated UT teams reached the top 10 at the IEEEXtreme 24-hours programming contest held on 23 October 2010.
- 9th International Workshop on Treebanks and Linguistic Theories took place on 3-4 Dec 2010 at the Institute of Computer Science, University of Tartu.
- The 3rd IFIP WG8.1 Working Conference on the Practice of Enterprise Modelling (PoEM2010) took place on 9-10 November, 2010, Delft, the Netherlands
- The Fourth International Conference HUMAN LANGUAGE TECHNOLOGIES — THE BALTIC PERSPECTIVE RIGA, October 7–8, 2010 (HLT 2010)
- The Theory Days took place Thu-Sun 30 September-3 October 2010 at Rakari (near Salacgriva, this is Latvia!). Webpage
- Garage48 is a boot-camp-style initiative to build new services in just 48 hours. The intention of this boot-camp is to generate initial business ideas and prototypes that can later be transformed into startups. An edition of Garage48 took place at Liivi 2 during the last week of August, for details see: http://www.garage48.org/events/tartu-2010
UT Computer Scientists Join in EU and IBM Project to
Simplify Interoperation between Electronic Services- see the press release
- 9th Estonian Summer School in Computer and Systems Science Pedase, Estonia, August 22-26, 2010 ESSCaSS 2010
- Attestation of PhD students The attestation review 2010 of PhD students at Institute of Computer Science took place in June 17th 9:00-14:00 at Liivi 2 - 225. The attestation meeting consists of an individual interview with the PhD student and supervisor's assessment for students performance (in total approximately 15 min). Both a PhD student and a supervisor are required to participate in the attestation meeting. If the supervisor cannot participate, he/she should submit the assessment in the written form by June 16th. schedule
- On Friday, June 18th, at 10:15, in Liivi 2-317 Vesal Vodjani will give a talk about the results of his PhD thesis "Static Data Race Analysis of Heap-Manipulating Low-Level C Programs".
- On Tuesday, June 22th, in Liivi 2-317 at 9:15 Ahto Truu will talk on the topic of linking-based time-stamping schemes, at 10:15, Dmitri Afanasjev will speak on "Küsimustiku läbimise süsteem", at 11:15, Jaak Pruulmann-Vengerfeldt will speak about Estonian language, finite transducers and free spelling engines.
- Defenses of Master's theses on June 7th and 8th 2010 - schedule Defenses of Bachelor's theses on June 10-11 and 14-15 2010 - schedule
- On June 10th we had the pleasure of receiving José Garcķa Carrasco (http://webs.um.es/jmgarcia/miwiki/doku.php), Dean of the Faculty of Engineering of University of Murcia (Spain).
- Theory Days in Elva - Information Security and Cryptology at 11.-13.06.2010
- Candidates for the position of Professor presented a venia legendi lecture Saturday, June 12th 15.00 Dusko Pavlovic "On unreasonable ineffectiveness of security engineering: the example of adverse selection of trust certificates" 17.15 Dominique Unruh "CoSP: A framework for computational soundness proofs" (abstract)
- At the afternoon of Monday, June 14th, we had a meeting with Dusko Pavlovic (Kestrel Institute /U. Oxford) and Dominique Unruh (U. des Saarlandes) who are applying for the DoRa-funded professorship of Information Security. We expect to start at about 3pm and be in room Liivi 2-317
Palmse, February 28-March 5, 2010
15th Estonian Winter School in Computer Science (EWSCS)
Theory Days at Andu "Programming Languages and Systems" 2009
Baltic Summer School: Technical Informatics and Information Technology
8th Estonian Summer School on Computer and Systems Scence